Could beauty and cleansing products be toxic to your health? Would you continue to buy a certain anti-wrinkle cream if it could destroy your immune system? As i’ve mentioned in previous articles i’ve written, “you shouldn’t have to compromise your health for the sake of beauty.”
One in three cosmetics in the US contains a carcinogen, an agent directly linked to cancer. And honestly, it really strikes a nerve with me. You know, because cancer isn’t fun, or pretty. Below, i’ve outlined some of the most harmful ingredients found in your bathroom cabinet – AKA – your anti-aging arsenal. Let’s begin!
- Formaldehyde: Used in cosmetics as a preservative, this ingredient is a known carcinogen, and is often found in creams and hair treatments. Formaldehyde can also trigger allergies and weaken the immune system. To put things in perspective, you probably already have this ingredient lingering over your little head; you can find this nasty stuff in your beloved Brazilian Keratin treatments. Instead of sabotaging your health for frizz free hair (now that’s shallow!), opt for a less permanent solution and consider a healthy hair mask treatment to tame the frizz.
Consider MONAT‘s naturally based line of healthy hair products. When i’m trying to create a very slick do’ a-la Kim Kardashian, I use the Hydration System coupled with the brand’s Blow Out Cream. The best part is that almost all of MONAT’s products are formulated with Capixyl, a clinically-proven ingredient used to promote healthy hair growth. Peace out extensions! ✌️ Also, the blow out cream is infused with a natural alternative to silicone. 💙
- Parabens: These chemicals serve as an antifungal agent found in shampoos, conditioners, styling products, soaps and body washes, lotions, shaving creams, deodorant, makeup and even toothpaste! It’s absorbed through the skin, mimics estrogen, and is linked to breast cancer. Parabens are also extremely harmful to the environment. Instead of scrubbin’ with the Devil himself, opt for healthier alternatives.
When it comes to an exfoliating scrub and body lotion, I like to use Project Beauty’s Pardon My Pretty collection. It’ll give you that “super clean feeling” sans toxic ingredients. Plus, the Arctic Vitamins and Super Fruit Blend found in each formulation boost hydration and improve skin texture and tone. Yes babe!
- PEG Compounds: Often passing as Polyethylene Glycol, it’s what makes your hair conditioner thick and your moisturizer extra creamy. This chemical is especially harmful to the nervous system, as it can interfere with human development. It also leaves skin more vulnerable to bacteria and other chemicals in the environment.
- Sulfates: Disguised as Sodium Laureth Sulfate, SLS, or SLE, (you evil little sucker), these chemicals are used in foaming cosmetics like shampoos and body wash. It can irritate your skin and eyes, and it’s a known degreaser 😧, meaning it strips natural oils from hair and skin, which by the way, can lead to dry patches and wrinkles! Oh hey, raisin face! 😪
- Phthalates (Artificial Fragrance): Found in nail polish 💅 and perfumes, phthalate exposure is linked to early puberty in girls, a risk factor for later-life breast cancer. Even more frightening, Mind Body Green reports that phthalates are also linked to bioaccumulation, which means they become trapped in the body FOREVER. FOR-E-VER. Queue my best Sandlot’s impression.
- BHA and DEA: Both induce allergic reactions in the skin and, like other substances on this list, are known carcinogens. DEA-related ingredients are used in foaming products, such as facial cleansers and shampoos. According to this article, DEA is also used in oil refineries to remove hydrogen sulfide from process gas emissions –are you effing kidding me?!?! Not exactly what you want in your shower!
- Triclosan: This chemical is found in antiperspirants/deodorants and cleansers and in hand sanitizers as a preservative and an anti-bacterial agent. The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) registers it as a pesticide, giving it high scores as a risk to both human health and the environment! If that’s not your cue to stay away, we don’t know what is.
So now that you know the real deal, are you tossing these chemicals out of your life? I hope so! Let’s clean your beauty routine!